The following records have been uploaded and approved for this cemetery.
southeast of Lawson on "C" Hwy, 2 miles east of "M" Hwy
1973 Ray County History: Old Union Cemetery, located east of Lawson on Route C, was donated by Mr. Abram Titus to be used as a free burial ground and to date, burial lots there can not be sold.
Some of the earliest graves are reported to be of children of the early settlers who were passing through on their way west. There are also some slave graves there. Due to neglect and the passing of time, these early markers are no longer evident.
As far back as the 1890's and 1900's, once a year, in August, people of the community gathered for a clean up day. This custom eventually died due to the lack of interest. Around 1935 the Union Extension Club took as a project, the upkeep of the cemetery. The first item of business was to get it fenced to keep out stock and to raise funds to mow and clean the area.
Since the only funds available are free will donations, a committee collects donations and hires someone to mow the cemetery several times a year. Those serving on the committee are: Okel Bowers, Raymond Grove, Jim Nolker, J. T. Atkins, Blanche McKee, Dorothy Cox, Katie Ulmer, Fern Atkins, and Stella Hankins.
|GROOM, Sarah Margaret||Old Union Cemetery Cemetery||Ray||2018-04-16 18:15:26|
|GROOM, William Edwin||Old Union Cemetery Cemetery||Ray||2018-04-16 18:15:26|