Barnett Cemetery

Howell County, Missouri

The following records have been uploaded and approved for this cemetery.

Additional Cemetery Info...

In Sisson Township, four miles south of Peace Valley post office. Established in 1874 in a small log building where subscription schools had previously been taught. The land was donated by Robert Sharp, and the name was given for a very highly respected citizen living half a mile away, Nathaniel Barnett, a pre-war pioneer of Gumter Valley, who was a Baptist minister. He represented the county in the legislature in 1876. Barnett Cemetery near the school was started during the Civil War. An unknown Union soldier became ill and died in the community. Mrs. Mary Cunningham, two other women, and "Uncle Buck" Gunter, then a boy of fourteen years, wrapped the body in blankets and buried it at night. (J.N. Barnett; D.W. Epley; R.F. Galloway)
Source: Pottenger, Cora Ann. "Place Names Of Five Southern Border Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1945

Name Cemetery County Updated
BARNETT, Addie Barnett Cemetery Howell 2018-04-04 00:15:47
BARNETT, Nathanal, Rev. Barnett Cemetery Howell 2018-04-04 00:15:47
ENGLAND, Marion E. Barnett Cemetery Howell 2018-04-05 07:15:12
KENNEDY, James Barnett Cemetery Howell 2018-04-06 00:15:56
PURRIER WEEKS, Sadie Olive Barnett Cemetery Howell 2018-04-08 00:15:35
WEEKS, Sadie Olive Barnett Cemetery Howell 2018-04-08 00:15:35

Other GPP Projects  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Site Map  |  Admin Login