LINDSEY, BOBBIE "BOB" - Texas County, Missouri | BOBBIE "BOB" LINDSEY - Missouri Gravestone Photos

Bobbie "Bob" LINDSEY

Cabool Cemetery
Texas County,

Aug 23, 1921
Dec 7, 2012

Bobbie Lindsey, better known as Bob, was born August 23, 1921 in Corning, Arkansas, the son of S.P. and Anna A. Lindsey and departed this life on December 7, 2012 at the age of 91.
Bob made his decision to accept Christ, as a youth, at the First Christian Church in Corning, Arkansas, his boyhood church. He was baptized and remained faithful as a lifelong believer.
Bob and his mother and dad moved to Cabool in June 1934. Bob graduated from Cabool High School in 1940 and was a member of Cabool’s first football team in 1938. He attended Central College, Fayette, MO, Southwest Missouri State College and graduated from the Graduate School of Banking, University of Wisconsin. He enlisted in the Army while a student at Southwest Missouri State College shortly after the bombing of Pearl Harbor, and served in North Africa and Italy with the combat engineers of the 6th Corps under General Mark Clark.
Following World War II, he returned home and opened a photography studio. In 1946 he joined his dad, brother Jordan, and sister Loraine in the Cabool State Bank.
January 12, 1947 Bob and Daisy Scott Gearing, a teacher in the local school were married. Daisy was a young widow with a 5 year old daughter, Mary Ellen. Roger Scott Lindsey was born January 7, 1948; Rebecca Anne March 2, 1949; and Martha Janice’ May 2, 1957. Daisy was from Mountain Grove, daughter of George W. and Oma Scott. George Scott was pastor of the Mtn. Grove Free Will Baptist Church.
Bob took a leave of absence from the bank in 1951 and moved just outside the city limits on 109 acres to raise broilers, 25,000 at a time, with Daisy and their children.
In 1956 he returned full time to the bank succeeding his father as President. October 30, 1979, the Lindsey family sold their controlling interest in the bank, and Bob continued with the bank as Investment Officer and Director.
Bob and family were active in civic affairs and members of the Christian Church. Among organizations served: School Board-15 years; Texas County Savings Bond Chairman-25 years; Church Board-33 years; Junior Chamber of Commerce- Chamber of Commerce; Cabool Development Corp.; Red Cross; South Missouri Christian Men’s Evangelistic Assoc.; Sunday School Superintendent and teacher; P.T.A.; Elder of church 39 years; Rock Garden Christian Service Camp trustee; Kiwanis; Ozarks Development Corp.; State and area bankers associations.
Bob still found time to be a family man with 65 years 11 months of marriage to Daisy. The family enjoyed vacations together, fishing, boating, and at middle age, Bob and Daisy took up flying, bought their own 4 place single engine Cessna aircraft, and flew all over the United States, plus back and forth to Southern Florida many years.
Bob liked being married, especially with the idea of starting off with a child, Mary Ellen, at marriage. He wrote several articles “ON THE ROAD WITH BOB & DAISY” for the Cabool Enterprise sharing travel experiences. Time and again people would remark, and even write letters to him about their joy in reading those articles. He wanted to share with you this last “ON THE ROAD WITH BOB & DAISY.”
ON THE ROAD - A good work ethic and doing your chores was always foremost with family so far as Bob and Daisy were concerned. Their four children were brought up, or trained with responsibility for various jobs, including making beds, keeping individual rooms clean, helping in the kitchen, setting the table, feeding pets, mowing the lawn, or what ever! We ate together around a dining table, usually at the same time each day, and with a morning devotion. Was it all work? No, there were exceptional times of togetherness. In the 1950’s a driving trip to California included Disneyland, Hollywood Studios, Yosemite, Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Parks, as well as lots of places between Cabool and California.
As a family we fished together as often as possible. We had a boat big enough, well – sort of, for all of us. One night trip for crappie fishing at Cape Fair on Table Rock Lake, we arrived after dark, and not knowing just where to fish, we asked at the boat dock and were told to just go around the bend in the lake down from the dock where we would see all the people with their gas lights. Sure enough, we found them, but rather than edge in on their territory, we went about 100 yards farther and dropped anchor. We lighted our gas lanterns and began catching fish. Our kids would fish awhile, sleep awhile, and this went on until day break. One of the guys from the first group we had seen, motored up and asked, “Did you have any lunch?” I said, “Oh, we caught some!” and that guy said it was one of the worst nights for fishing he had ever experienced! When we counted our fish caught, it was 155 keepers! As a family we fished out of K Dock at Bull Shoals Lake and other lakes within driving distance. We also fished the Atlantic Ocean when we vacationed in Florida. One time when Martha was about 5 years old and we were fishing in a heated dock on Stockton lake (by the way, that’s like fishing in a bath tub) and Martha was in her “hey day” going from one fishing person to another talking up a storm to all. Finally one man said, “Hey little girl, don’t your jaws ever get tired?” Martha paused with a long look and said, “Not really!”
We had a series of vacation travel trailers after the California trip. The first was a 15 foot that would sleep six. We liked to travel and camp out. I started driving the family Model A Ford when I was 13, before drivers license had been thought of, and gas was 16 cents a gallon, oil 25 cents a quart, and before moving to Cabool. Of course this vacation trailer bit came into being many years later. After getting that first trailer we weren’t long in planning a big driving trip to Washington D.C., New York City, Boston, Canada, Niagara Falls, Detroit, Chicago and back home. My mother, Loraine, and Mary would follow us down the road in their car. I thought anyone should be able to follow a trailer hitched to another vehicle some twenty-five hundred miles plus. The first night stop was to be Indianapolis, a fairly straight shoot on highway 40 from St. Louis. Maybe it was getting through St. Louis that was the first road block, but we got separated from Loraine and Grandmother by the middle of the first afternoon! It was like that from day one on most of the trip thereafter. We all did make it to Washington D.C., where in the 1950’s and 1960’s there was a nice government owned trailer park with motel rooms right on the Potomac River. Our family of six stayed in the trailer, with Loraine, Mary and Grandmother staying in a nice motel room a few feet away. We spent several days looking over our Capitol city while giving the children a “hands on” education. Martha was only 2 years old and spent lots of these days with Grandmother Lindsey at the motel.
Bob, Daisy, Roger, Mary Ellen and Becky decided to fly from Washington D.C. to New York City for a tour. We flew on a DC 3 American Air Lines, almost an hour flight, early one morning. Upon landing we were about to et a taxi to go down town when someone suggested we take the subway and get off at 38th Street in the middle of the city. We did, and first thing after getting up to the street, a man could see we did not know up from down so he showed us on our little map just where to go and how easy it would be! We first did a walking tour then got a limousine tour to see other things such as the Statue of Liberty, Wall Street, etc. Back to Washington later on that night.
After several days, both parties started for the East and Northeast Atlantic coast. I had learned to try to keep the family following in our rear view mirrors, and allow for other considerations involving junctions and traffic conditions. Things improved somewhat; however, in trying to miss New York City by taking a tunnel under the Hudson River because of our propane gas tank on the trailer, we were waved out of the tunnel entrance and sent down town in the middle of Manhattan at going home time for traffic. There was supposed to be a bridge down that way across the river and would you believe Mary, Loraine and Grandmother managed somehow to stay right on our tail through all that traffic? Talk about friendly people! Every time we stopped, which was often, folks asked, “Where are you from?” “Where are you going?” “That’s neat, pulling your house with your car!” “How many kids do you have?” etc. By the way, we found the bridge and made it through thick and thin, more or less enjoying the experience.
We were headed for Boston, and somewhere along the route came upon Old Orchard Beach on the Atlantic. That seemed to be a good place for the kids to play on the beach and dip in the Atlantic. Was late in the afternoon but OK with the kids. Grandmother sat in a beach chair with a blanket wrapped around her and only her eyes showing. I’m not certain Mary & Loraine did anymore than take a quick look. It was windy and cold! First time we had seen our children purple and blue from being in the ocean; however, they did not seem to mind! Old Orchard Beach proved to be a carnival atmospheric place with miles of beach on the ocean.
We made it to Boston, and again the “education process” began with visits to all the historic places in the area. We continued on Northeast in Quebec, Canada, Niagara Falls, and worked our way back to Cabool.
Perhaps this is a good place to tell you another aspect of our family. We were blessed to travel together many miles in these United States of America. If it happened that we were traveling on Sunday, we timed arrivals to a town where we could stop for Sunday School and Church. We could write a book about the many pleasant experiences we had visiting with others of like faith. Sometimes it did not work out finding a church, especially in the Northeast, so we had Bible study and prayer time in our trailer. And talking about experiences, one Sunday when driving to Alaska, we had stopped in Canada for church and a couple insisted we go home with them for lunch. We did and would you know, Daisy found and experienced her first and only heated toilet seat at their house! The woman’s husband was sort of engineer, and he rigged that seat for their pleasure. On a trip to the Bahamas we were told by the preacher of a church we wanted to attend, that Sunday School began at 10:30 a.m. We took a taxi from our hotel to the church and I asked the driver if he would return about noon to pick us up. He asked what kind of church this was. We said Christian and he said, “Of course not!” He would not return. If someone in that church did not take us back to the hotel, we were in the wrong church! Well, ten-thirty came and went and no one showed up. After cooling our heels a good half hour, people began to straggle in from walking from where they lived to the house of prayer and it was sometime after eleven o’clock before any organized meeting got underway, not to mention they were in no hurry to stop. It was well after one o’clock before the preaching was over. The preacher took us back to our hotel because he had the only means of transportation, but he first delivered lots of others in the congregation to their homes.
As years came and went, we traded up on vacation trailers, finally got a 27 foot self contained unit. Our older children married and moved, yet Martha was still with us. We had taken up flying and it was not suitable to try to tow a trailer behind our airplane. We took our trailer to Florida and found a park where we could leave it. The owners of the park proved to be good friends and when were ready to fly down they would get our trailer ready and pick us up at the airport.
In 1971 we bought a home in Naples, Florida. Naples is on the Gulf of Mexico about as far south as you can get on the Southwest coast of Florida and the best part of twelve hundred miles from Cabool. We rented the house out until I retired from the bank and for 30 winters we spent 6 months in Florida and 6 months in Cabool. During that period of time we had two church memberships. Cabool Christian Church and Naples Christian Church. I was an elder of the Naples church and taught an adult Sunday class many years during our winter stays. In Naples, we played golf, fished the Gulf of Mexico and inland water ways from our own boat, traveled here and there, walked the beach often searching for sea shells, rode our bicycles and walked many miles when we did not bike.
I was an outdoor person. My dad started me hunting at 9 years of age. After moving to Cabool I hunted quail and squirrels and during high school days at one time had a dresser drawer full of quail wings and a drawer filled with squirrel tails, much to my mother’s dismay!
On one quail hunt with a friend we brought in 22 quail. I always believed in eating what I killed and that idea carried over into my last days. A friend, Ernie Wall, taught me how to fish and I taught my family, with Daisy ending up being the best of all. We caught pound after pound of fish to share with family and friends in Florida and Cabool.
I promised to take Daisy to Italy, and one summer we went. Spain, France, Greece, Turkey and a Mediterranean cruise were included while we were at it. We had cruised the Caribbean, drove to Old Mexico, plus had a flying trip to Acapulco with Martha and visited Hawaii several times including a Christmas and New Years. One October we flew to New Zealand and Australia with Loraine and Mary. We cruised to Alaska and didn’t get to see enough so in 1993 we drove up there. It took 7 days to arrive and after getting there we drove over almost every road we could.
This “little bit” of “ON THE ROAD WITH BOB & DAISY” is an attempt to show and share a few of God’s blessings showered on us as a married team and our children. We felt blessed each day that God shared in our lives. After all, it is God who owns the life we have, the air we breathe, and our very souls.
Bob was preceded in death by his parents, S.P. and Anna A. Lindsey, brothers Paul and Jordan Lindsey, sisters Mary E. and Loraine F. Lindsey, 2 sons-in-law Dell Grose and Bill Daugherty, and a grandson Lindsey “Tige” McCullough.
Bob is survived by his wife Daisy Scott Lindsey; Children: Mary Ellen Gifford and husband, Ronnie, Roger Lindsey and wife, Peggy, Becky Taff and husband, Larry and Martha Grose; Grandchildren: Beth Anne Stephens and husband, Philip, David McCullough and wife, Betsy, Amy O’Dell and husband, Grady, Darren Taff and wife, Mackenzie, Scott Lindsey and wife, Mandy, Tyler Grose and wife, Jessica, Tamara Feucht and husband, Jeramyn; Great-Grandchildren: Ashley and Sara Peznell, Lindsey and Eden McCullough, Carson and Teagan Lindsey, Michael (Jessica), Matthew (Cheyenne), and Justin O’Dell, Mary Addison and Emmerson Taff, Kyla, Savanna and Isaiah Grose, Kyan and Korbin Feucht; Brother-in-Law: Rolla (Helen) Smith; Sisters-in-law: Leah Postlewaite and Genelle Scott; Many nieces, nephews, cousins and countless friends. []

Contributed on 10/17/15 by mjrwag
Email This Contributor

Suggest a Correction

Record #: 776151

To request a copy of this photo for your own personal use, please contact our state coordinator. If you are not a family member or the original photographer — please refrain from copying or distributing this photo to other websites.

Thank you for visiting the Missouri Gravestone Photo Project. On this site you can upload gravestone photos, locate ancestors and perform genealogy research. If you have a relative buried in Missouri, we encourage you to upload a digital image using our Submit a Photo page. Contributing to this genealogy archive helps family historians and genealogy researchers locate their relatives and complete their family tree.

Submitted: 10/17/15 • Approved: 10/17/15 • Last Updated: 4/19/18 • R776151-G0-S3

Users Online  |  Surnames  |  Other GPP Projects  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Site Map  |  Admin Login