WILSON, LILLIE - Adair County, Missouri | LILLIE WILSON - Missouri Gravestone Photos


Forest-Llewellyn Cemetery
Adair County,

Oct 22, 1865 - May 26, 1929
Sept 7, 1863 - May 29, 1907

Fred J. Wilson, of Edina, son of the late Judge E. V. Wilson, was born in Edina, September 7, 1863. He was educated in the public schools of this town and the college, and worked at clerical duties several years in the offices of the sheriff and collector, and for a time also in his father's law office. Since the fall of 1885 he has been with the bank of Edina, as bookkeeper and secretary. December 7, 1886, he was married to Miss Lillie O., daughter of the late Rev. George C. Brown, a Baptist minister of Paris, Mo. Our subject is a Republican, a member of the city council, and one of the enterprising and successful young men of the town. His father's family was as follows: Minnie, William (stock dealer at Quincy), Vick C., George E. (grain dealer of Hartland, Kas.), Sophia (wife of Dr. T. A. Campbell, of Grainfield, Kas.), Fred J. (our subject), Kate W. (wife of J. W. Campbell, hardware merchant of Grainfield, Kas.), Charles I. and Frank A.

Judge Elias V. Wilson, was born in Butler County, Ohio, February 17, 1824, being a son of John K. Wilson, who for many years was a prominent man of that county. At the age of sixteen years he entered Miami University, from which institution he graduated with honor in 1843, and immediately entered the law office of John B. Weller, of Hamilton, Ohio, where he remained engaged in study until 1846, when he was admitted to the bar, and immediately began the practice of his profession at Hamilton. Upon the breaking out of the war with Mexico, he and an elder brother, William, enlisted, William being elected lieutenant, and E. V., sergeant of their company. After three months' service the latter was attacked with Brazos fever, was honorably discharged, and sent home. In 1847 he married Jane, the eldest daughter of Joshua Delaplane, of Hamilton, Ohio, and soon afterward immigrated to Missouri, stopping at Tully, Lewis County, early in 1849. Early in the decade of the fifties he removed to Edina, Knox County, where he resided until his death. In 1853 he was appointed by the county court to organize the schools of Knox county, and for a number of years served as county attorney. In 1856, after a warm canvass, he was elected representative to the General Assembly. When the great Rebellion broke out he espoused the cause of the Union, and raised and commanded a company of Home Guards, and upon the organization of the Second Regiment of Northeast Missouri Reserve Corps he was made major. During the years 1863-64 he was employed in the service of the Government in the capacity of assistant provost-marshal, and in 1864 was elected to the State Senate, where he served with marked ability during the stormy sessions of 1864-65. In April, 1865, he was appointed by Gov. Fletcher to fill the vacancy in the judgeship of the Fourth Judicial Circuit, occasioned by the promotion of David Wagner his predecessor to the supreme bench, and in 1868 he was elected to the same position for the full term of six years, retiring from the bench in 1875. During this entire service of nearly ten years he never failed to hold a term of court provided for by law, and often held special terms, and this too, when there were no railroads in the district. In 1869 he took an active part in the organization of the Q. M. & P. Railroad, of which company he was for some time a director. After his retirement from the bench in 1875 he resumed the practice of law, and remained actively engaged until 1878, when a partial loss of his eyesight occasioned his gradual withdrawal from business. For several years prior to, and at the time of, his death, he was president of the bank of Edina. On Monday, October 5, 1885, while removing a heavy board from a plank fence, he received a severe bruise and a very slight abrasion of the skin of the back of the right hand, but paid little attention to the wound. On Tuesday the hand pained him excessively, and Dr. Nelson was called in, though no serious result was apprehended. For several years the Judge's health had been failing and his constitution seemed to deprive him of all energy. Every attention was given him, yet, notwithstanding this, erysipelas set in, and the symptoms becoming more alarming, Dr. L. S. Brown was sent for, and the two physicians did all in their power to alleviate the suffering of the Judge. Dr. Bassett, of Quincy, and Dr. Gregory, of St. Louis, were summoned, and after consultation it was decided to lay open the hand, which was accordingly done, but without noticeable benefit. He was buried with Masonic honors and ceremonies, a large assemblage of friends and relatives being present. He left a widow, six sons and three daughters to mourn his death.

History of Lewis, Clark, Knox and Scotland Counties Missouri, V.2 Biographical Appendix. Goodspeed Publishing, 1887, p. 1139-1141


Injuries Received in Runaway Prove Fatal

The community was shocked Wednesday morning when the announcement was made that F.J. Wilson had died of injuries received in a runaway late Tuesday evening. Only a very few had heard that Mr. Wilson had been injured as the accident occurred about 6 p.m. and it was first thought that his injuries were not of a very serious nature.

The accident which resulted in his death occurred while he was driving on East Jefferson street, accompanied by his wife and daughter, Lucelle.

Mrs. Wilson was driving and Mr. Wilson was in the rear seat of the surry, when the horse became frightened. He attempted to get out of the surry to quiet the animal and as he raised his feet the horse made a sudden plunge and he was dashed violently from the surry, striking his head on the pavement. At this time the horse started to run. Mrs. Wilson held the lines and succeeded in getting the horse under control after it ran a few blocks.

A number of people who witnessed the accident went to Mr. Wilson's assistance, and found he was unconscious. He soon revived and was assisted to W.D. Goode's buggy and driven home. On the way home he appeared conscious and explained to Mr. Goode how the accident occurred. Shortly after reaching home he complained of severe pains in his head. Dr. Parrish was called and later Dr. Martin, Dr. Grim and Dr. Young. Mr. Wilson grew rapidly worse and about 10 p.m. became unconscious and remained so until his death, which occurred at 3:10 a.m. Wednesday morning.

Mr. Wilson was one of Kirksville's leading and progressive business men and in financial circles was regarded as a financier of more than ordinary ability. His sudden death cast a gloom over the community and the bereaved family have the sympathy of a large circle of business and social friends.

Kirksville Journal
Kirksville, Missouri
May 30, 1907


The funeral services of Fred J. Wilson were held at 3 p.m. today at the home, 205 E. Pierce street. The services were conducted by Rev. H.J. Everly. The burial services at Llewllyn [sic] cemetery were under the auspices of Adair Lodge No 366 A.F. and A.M. Kirksville Lodge B.P.O. Elks acted as escort.

Kirksville Journal
Kirksville, Missouri
May 30, 1907


Fatal Accident.

F.J. Wilson, one of Kirksville's most prominent business men, was the victim of a runaway Tuesday evening, and sustained injuries which resulted in death a few hours later.

Mrs. Wilson, their daughter Lucile and Mrs. Orcutt were out driving. On reaching the post-office as they were returning home, they met Mr. Wilson, who was enroute home from his office, where he had staid [sic] later than usual. Mrs. Wilson, who was driving, occupied the front seat of the surrey with Mrs. Orcutt. She drove up to the curbing and Mr. Wilson jumped into the surrey and took the rear seat with his daughter. They drove to the home of Mrs. Orcutt, where she alighted, and Mrs. Wilson turned east on Jefferson street for home.

The old family horse she was driving had been made very nervous by the motor cycles frequenting Jefferson street, and, as the surrey approached High street he became frightened at some apparatus that had been used in raising a building and left near the street. When the animal started to run, Mr. Wilson attempted to pass from the rear to the front street to assist Mrs. Wilson, and in doing so stepped down on the fender. His movement increased the animal's fright and he sprang forward suddenly, throwing Mr. Wilson headlong to the pavement, striking on the left side of his head. The horse continued to run, but was kept under control by Mrs. Wilson, and stopped at their home, which was little more than a block away from the scene of the accident.

W.D. Goode, who was driving behind Mr. Wilson's surrey, ran to Mr. Wilson, who was rendered unconscious by the fall, and picked him up. He quickly recovered consciousness, however, and Mr. Goode placed him in his surrey, drove him home and assisted him into the house. After getting into the house, Mr. Wilson pulled off his coat, and expressed the belief that he was not badly hurt. He lay down on the bed, however, and seemed perfectly easy till about seven o'clock, when he was seized with violent pains in his head. Four physicians were immediately summoned, and every thing possible was done for him, but he continued to grow worse, and about nine o'clock lapsed into unconsciousness from which he never recovered until death came about 3:10 Wednesday morning.

Mr. Wilson was born in Knox county September 7, 1864, and at the time of his death was 42 years, eight months and 20 days old. He was a son of Judge Victor Wilson and from early manhood had been prominent in political and financial affairs. In 1892, at the age of 27 years, he received the Republican nomination for the office of State Treasurer, but was beaten by Lon V. Stephens, who afterwards became governor. At the time of his death he was a member of the Republican State committee. He was widely known and leaves a large circle of friends who deeply sympathize with the bereaved family.

The funeral took place from the home, 307 East Pierce Street Thursday afternoon at three o'clock. Service at the home by Rev. H.J. Everly, of the Baptist church. He was a prominent Mason, and services at the grave were under the auspices of that order. Burial in Llewellyn cemetery.

Weekly Graphic
Kirksville, Missouri
May 31, 1907


Fred's name and dates are memorialized on his parents marker in Linville Cemetery at Edina, Missouri.

Frederick J. Wilson Cenotaph

Elias Vickers Wilson (1824 - 1885)
Jane Delaplane Wilson (1830 - 1915)
Lillie O. Brown Wilson (1865 - 1929)
Lucille Frances Wilson Sudekum (1892 - 1954)

Lillie married Fred J. Wilson on December 7, 1886, at Paris, Missouri.


Burial of Former Resident To Take Place Here Tuesday

Mrs. Lillie B. Wilson, a former resident of Kirksville, died Sunday morning at 5 o'clock at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Harry Sudekum, in Nashville, Tenn., according to a message received in Kirksville. The body will arrive in Kirksville Tuesday afternoon at 3:05 o'clock and will be buried beside her husband, the late Fred J. Wilson, in Llewellyn Cemetery. Short services will be conducted at the grave by the Rev. R.C. Gresham.

Mrs. Wilson had been in ill health for several years. She left Kirksville about fifteen years ago to make her home in the South. While here she lived at 315 South High Street. She came to Kirksville from Edina, Mo. Her husband was cashier of the Kirksville Savings Bank for a number of years, and the family was prominent in business and social circles here.

Mrs. Wilson leaves two children, Forest B. Wilson, and Mrs. Lucille Wilson Sudekum, both of Nashville.

Mrs. Wilson has many friends in Kirksville who will be sorry to hear of her death, and who extend sympathy to the bereaved son and daughter.

Kirksville Daily Express
Kirksville, Missouri
May 27, 1929

Geo. C. Brown (____ - 1887)
Frederick J. Wilson (1863 - 1907)

Photo contributed by Larry and Susan Olson lolson60@cableone.net

Contributed on 2/4/16 by hawkinsdonna48
Email This Contributor

Suggest a Correction

Record #: 786240

To request a copy of this photo for your own personal use, please contact our state coordinator. If you are not a family member or the original photographer — please refrain from copying or distributing this photo to other websites.

Thank you for visiting the Missouri Gravestone Photo Project. On this site you can upload gravestone photos, locate ancestors and perform genealogy research. If you have a relative buried in Missouri, we encourage you to upload a digital image using our Submit a Photo page. Contributing to this genealogy archive helps family historians and genealogy researchers locate their relatives and complete their family tree.

Submitted: 2/4/16 • Approved: 2/5/16 • Last Updated: 3/29/18 • R786240-G786240-S3

Users Online  |  Surnames  |  Other GPP Projects  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Site Map  |  Admin Login